Monday, March 17, 2008

The Economy Is No Excuse For Lack Of Business

A devalued dollar. Increasing prices on commodities. A dropping Dow. It's enough to make you dig a hole and crawl in it.

In the 10+ years I have lived in Boise I can remember at least two instances when people would bemoan that business was tough for them because the economy was bad. Once was during the late 90's, otherwise known as the "Dot-Bomb" era, the second was just after 9/11.

Since the start of 2008, I have begun to hear whining and complaining about "tough times ahead" and that we're headed for a recession. Some say we are already in one.

Stop! It's no excuse not to do business. Call me foolish, but I choose not to participate in recessions or economic hardship. You do what you can and try to make the most of what is available. Necessity is the mother of invention and economic challenges, such as the one we're experiencing now, force you to become creative.

Like the weather, economies come and go in cycles. We're currently in a down cycle and maybe 5 or 10 years from now we'll be in another. It makes little sense to worry when there is hardly anything you or I can do to stop it. It's about what you can do right now.

My attitude toward the current economy matches a recent podcast I heard produced by Alan Weiss.

It Is Not The Economy

Take 5 minutes to hear Alan out. If you are doubting your ability to conduct business or garner new business during economic uncertainty, I think you'll find that the fault doesn't rest on the shoulders of a sinking dollar - it's the fact that you may not be demonstrating your value to the client.

No comments: